If you're using productboard to manage multiple products, you have two options (outlined below). The option you choose will depend on the nature of your products and how interrelated they are:
- If you have multiple interrelated products, try managing them all in a single productboard project. Keep reading for more tips.
- If you have multiple products that are entirely distinct from one another, find more information in the second section of this article below.
Managing multiple interrelated products
productboard lets you organize feature ideas across multiple products within the same productboard environment (project).
You can do this by creating multiple products on your Features board and visualizing features by product on the Roadmap board.
This is helpful when products are interrelated, share an overlapping user base, and follow a similar release schedule.
- Segment research with tags: Use tags on the Insights board to help segment feedback by team or product area. (But also remember that by linking feedback to the right area of the product, you'll always be able to retrieve relevant feedback from your Features board.)
- Segment columns with saved views: If you have different initiatives/drivers/segments for different products, save these sets of columns under saved views, including a reference to the associated product in their names. That will help you retrieve the right columns for each product in less time.
- Save views with Product Filters: You can save each product to its's own special saved view. Here you can zero in on details pertaining to specific products.
Managing completely distinct products or product lines
If you have entirely distinct products or product lines with different users and feedback, unique strategic initiatives & drivers, and separate release schedules, you might consider managing each product in a separate productboard project.
Each project is accessible at a different URL. Users may be shared between projects and can also have different user roles in different projects. (e.g. a VP of Product can be admin in all projects, whereas a PM is only admin in her product's project and contributor in her colleagues' projects). Once logged in to productboard, users who are members of multiple projects can switch between them seamlessly using the project switcher in the main menu:
Benefits of multiple projects:
- Distinct repositories for user inputs
- Distinct feature backlogs
- Distinct drivers, initiatives, and prioritization criteria
- Distinct roadmaps, supporting different release schedules
- Customizable access permissions – ensure colleagues have access only to the product/user data they need
Drawbacks of mutliple projects:
Keep in mind that since projects are distinct environments, you won't be able to link the same user insight to different products unless you import the same feedback to both projects.
It also won't be possible to see a single roadmap for all of your products. You'll need to toggle between productboard projects to see each product's roadmap.
Interested in using multiple productboard projects? Reach out to see if this option is viable for your team. Find us on in-app chat or firstname.lastname@example.org.