Don't lose track of all that valuable product feedback in Intercom! Use this integration to load all of your Intercom conversations into productboard (or a subset as defined by tags that you define) and link insights from customers to the feature ideas they inspire.
- Log feature requests and identify product gaps
- Generate feature ideas based on user painpoints
- Track bugs
- Identify problem areas in UX and onboarding
- Validate which jobs customers are hiring your product to do
Here's how it works... 🎥
To set up this integration you must be:
- An administrator of your productboard project.
- An Engage, Support, or Learn plan customer with Intercom.
Step I: Authorize
- In productboard, navigate to the Integrations page.
- Select Intercom [+] to add a new integration.
- Authorize productboard to connect your Intercom account.
Step II: One-time import
Import Intercom conversations manually by searching for specific conversations, then selecting those you'd like to import. Available conversation search criteria:
- Date range
Step III: Tag messages
If you've set up your integration to pull only conversations with a certain tag in Intercom, this tag can be applied to any message in a conversation in order to send the entire conversation (importing individual messages is not supported).
To apply a tag to a conversation in Intercom, hover along the right edge of a message and select Tag this reply.
Note that tags applied to the customer in the right sidebar will not push this conversation to productboard:
To ensure your conversation gets sent to productboard... perform an action in the conversation thread after applying your tag.
- Assigning the conversation to someone
- Snoozing a conversation
- Replying to the conversation
- Adding a note to the conversation
- Closing/Re-opening the conversation
Best practice: tag a message in the conversation as soon as you realize the conversation should be sent to productboard.
Q: My Intercom conversations aren't getting pushed to productboard. What should I do?
Please verify the following...
- In productboard, on the Integrations page, ensure your Intercom integration is toggled on.
- Select the integration in question to view its settings. If it's configured to only pull Intercom conversations with a certain tag, verify the tag specified is the same on you're using in Intercom.
- In Intercom, ensure you're applying tags in the correct part of the interface – to the message itself, not to the person (see screenshot above).
- In Intercom, make sure you're taking some action after you've applied the tag. For example, you could send a reply, close the conversation, or leave a note for a colleague or yourself (see above). Due to the nature of Intercom's API, this is the only way productboard can tell that a tag has been added to a conversation.
Q: The conversation in productboard doesn't have a user name assigned?
A: If it is completely empty, no name, no email, no company, there may be an error- contact us!
If this is the first conversation with a particular user pushed to productboard it will pull only the name and email of the user. The company will be unassigned- blank.
For this initial insight you will need to assign the company.
Thereafter it will remain synced.