productboard is on a mission to break down the barriers between your product team, colleagues across your organization, and your broader customer community. The Portal is the next big step toward helping you deliver excellent products.
It's a an interface that lets you:
- Validate your ideas by collecting upvotes and feedback from customers
- Share what's planned to keep everyone informed
- Celebrate what you've launched to make your team proud of all they've accomplished
You can even use it to collect brand new ideas from users, that you might not have thought of before!
Check your productboard
Do you have a Portal icon beneath the other boards in your left navigation bar? If so, your team has early access to the Portal!
Get started collecting user insights at scale
The Portal is like a bulletin board where you can display ideas that are under consideration, that are planned, or have already been launched. These ideas are represented in the form of cards that you can add to the tabs of your Portal.
Behind the scenes, cards are linked to features or components you've created on the Features board. That way, if anyone upvotes an idea, that will be reflected on the associated feature/component on your Features board:
- If someone upvotes one of your cards, that will be reflected in the associated Feature/component's User impact score.
- Any feedback users leave on a feature/component will appear on your Insights board, with insights automatically highlighted and linked to the associated feature/component.
- Any new ideas users propose will appear on your Insights board, ready to be processed.
Add a new card
Take a look for yourself. Using the [+] icon, add a new card to your Portal. It could either be based on an existing feature/component from your Features board, or you can create a new feature/component and immediately represent it as a card on your Portal. (It will also be added to your Features board for you to manage later.)
Customize a card
Now describe this idea to your end users by filling in the Public Title and Public Description fields. Add a graphic to illustrate your idea.
And here's something cool. Since each card is linked to a feature/component, you can easily toggle between the details for that feature/component that only you and your teammates can see and the details that end users will be able to see on your Portal.
Arrange/Remove your cards
Drag and drop your cards to re-arrange them.
Add new sections to sub-divide tabs however you'd like – whatever will help end users better understand your ideas.
Add new tabs or edit the default tabs to reflect what you plan on sharing on your Portal.
Remove a card from the portal by selecting it to open its details. Then select the Remove icon toward the bottom:
Regardless of whether the card is associated with a new or an existing feature/component, it won't be deleted from the Features board just because its card has been removed from the Portal.
Move a card from one tab to another
Move a card from one tab to another by selecting it to open its details. Then click the breadcrumb at the bottom to choose where the card will be moved.
Customize Portal settings
Add a logo to your Portal, which will also appear on any confirmation emails your customers receive when they vote or submit ideas. 72px by 72px works best.
Access additional settings using the gear icon:
- Enable/disable new idea submissions: When new idea submissions are disabled, users will be able to vote on existing cards but won't be able to suggest new ideas.
- Show/hide number of votes for each idea: Users will see how many have voted on each idea.
- Remove productboard branding (premium feature): Hides "powered by productboard" badge
- Customize Portal primary color: Match your brand's color scheme
Share your Portal
Check your Portal sharing settings to verify who has access to your Portal.
Project admins can select any of the following sharing settings:
- Hidden – Only editors can access the portal
- Team – Visible to productboard team members
- Anyone with the link – Anyone who has the (very obscure) link can access (e.g. https://portal.productboard.com/2nl5i1ly5pkbjrr6zhps3ekx)
- Public – Anyone who has the (human-readable) link can access (e.g. https://portal.productboard.com/[your_project_name])
If the Portal is shared with Team, Anyone with the link, or Public, project users with the contributor and viewer user roles will see the Portal in the navigation when logged in to productboard.
Embed your Portal & enable SSO
Want to bring your Portal to where your users are? Embed your Portal in your website or application.
For embedded Portals, you can also now enable Portal SSO to automatically authorize users who are submitting ideas and feedback, without requiring them to verify their identities via email.
More info: Embed your Portal
Collect upvotes and feedback
So your Portal is ready to share! Here's what your users will see.
Behold all your beautiful ideas! 🌈
Users who click a card will see its details, including your public description of the card.
If they'd like, they can go through will upvoting the idea by rating how important it is to them (required) and an explanation of what need this would solve for them (required).
Submitting the idea requires your end user to provide an email, which we use for verification before sending you their feedback. That's right – if the user doesn't verify their identity via email, their input and vote won't count. All in the name of keeping your boards spam-free!
Users have the added option of setting up a basic account that will allow them to easily access your board in the future, see which ideas they've already suggested/upvoted, and suggest/vote on additional ideas without having to re-verify their identity.