What if you could validate your ideas while simultaneously engaging your customer community? That was our vision as we set out to build the Portal.
It's a customer-facing interface that helps you:
- Validate your ideas by collecting upvotes and feedback
- Share what's planned to keep everyone informed
- Celebrate what you've launched to alert users of new functionality and make your team feel proud of what they’ve built
You can even use it to collect brand new ideas from users, that you might not have thought of before!
Learn how in 2 mins... 🎥
The Portal is like a bulletin board where you can display ideas that are under consideration, that are planned, or have already been launched.
These ideas are represented in the form of cards that you can add to the tabs of your Portal.
When you're ready, share the Portal with colleagues and customers to collect upvotes and feedback.
Where does the user feedback go?
Behind the scenes, cards are linked to features, subfeatures, or components you've created on the Features board. When someone upvotes an idea, that feeback will be automatically linked to the entity it's linked to. The user impact score will automatically be updated as well!
Whenever someone provides feedback on a card or submits a new idea it will appear on your Insights board as a new note. User inputs will never be made public like you might see on a traditional feature voting forum. However, the number of votes a card receives is displayed on your Portal.
Share your Portal
Check your Portal sharing settings to verify who has access to your Portal. There are four sharing options:
- Hidden – Only editors can access the portal
- Team – Visible to productboard team members
- Anyone with the link – Anyone who has the (very obscure) link can access (e.g. https://portal.productboard.com/2nl5i1ly5pkbjrr6zhps3ekx)
- Public – Anyone who has the (human-readable) link can access (e.g. https://portal.productboard.com/[your_project_name])
Customize your Portal
The Portal is the best way to share your ideas & plans with external stakeholders, so it only makes sense you can customize your Portal so it fits your brand, and your needs.
- Embed your Portal in your website/application and enable SSO for customers
- Allow users to submit new ideas
- Show/hide number of votes on each idea
- Remove productboard branding
- Customize primary color
✅ Get inspired
Want to see an example of a live Portal in action? See team productboard's Portal to see ideas we're considering, review what's planned, and learn what's been launched.
We've now reviewed all four boards! All that's left is setting up your project. Read on for a checklist of next steps, and some suggested best practices.