From speaking with hundreds of product managers over the years, we've learned that the best product teams are successful on several fronts:
- Understanding what features users really need
- Confidently prioritizing what to build next based on clear criteria
- Rallying everyone around the roadmap
- Engaging the customer community
But today, many PMs are still stuck straddling a number of silo'd solutions to carry out these critical job responsibilities.
- User feedback lands in email inboxes, Evernotes, support ticket management platforms, NPS tools, feature request forums, and CRMs. They collect user research in spreadsheets, survey tools, and Google docs.
- Feature ideas are captured and prioritized in spreadsheets or project management tools like Asana or JIRA.
- Roadmaps are manually designed in Excel or PowerPoint.
- Customer relationships are considered solely the responsibility of customer success or account management.
We PMs need a better way to manage the complex decisions at the center of our job.
And we need to do it in a way that provides transparency, fosters collaboration, and encourages alignment with the broader product team and helps us earn buy-in from rest of the org.
Our team has long felt that if only we had a dedicated solution for product management, we'd all have a better chance of shipping excellent products.
That's why we built productboard.