Just as you can merge features in productboard, you can now merge redundant users and companies. This is valuable for ensuring all the right data is on hand when you zero in on the needs of a given customer. It also ensures the user impact score is properly calculated.
How do redundant user/company records come about?
Redundancies may have formed in the past when incoming feedback was accidentally attributed to a new user/company record rather than a record already in your productboard workspace. This is unlikely to happen anymore, now that productboard enforces unique emails for each user record and unique website domains for each company record (unless the two companies have different names).
A less common occurrence is when a user switches companies and brings your product with them. You may decide to merge these user records to see all their insights in one place and ensure you follow up with them at their new work email.
How is underlying data merged?
Merging is a safe process that retains most data from both records, including the one that is being merged (will soon be deleted) and the "target" entity it is being merged into.
In many cases, after the merge, both entities' data is applied to the target entity (e.g. description, insights, comments). For fields that only support one data value (e.g. segment dropdown), the target feature's data is given preference.
What happens to each data field:
- Description – The merged entity's description is appended beneath the target entity's description.
- Insights – All linked insights associated with either entity are added to the target entity sorted by date/time created.
- Importances – If both records have insights linked to a common feature, and their importance scores are different, the higher one will be retained. This could reduce the user impact score since previously the importance scores were being double-counted for that customer.
- Comments – All comments added to either entity are added to the target entity, in chronological order by date/time created.
- Followers — All followers added to either entity are added to the target entity.
- Email – (Users only) — The target user's email address is retained if the two are different.
- Attachments — (User only) — All attachments from any of the user will be moved to the target entity.
- Tags — (Users only) — All unique tags added to either company are added to the target company.
- Portal — (Users only) — All the insights from both "merged" and target users will be pushed into the target user.
- Company – (Users only) — The target user's company is retained if the two are different.
- Customer name — (Users only) — The target user's customer name is retained if the two are different.
- Domain – (Companies only) – The target company's domain is retained if the two are different.
- Users – (Companies only) — All unique users added to either company are added to the target company.
- Columns — If any of the entities is shown as a column on a view, the target entity will be always shown as well.
- Filters — All filters and collections on the Insights, Features, and Roadmap boards that are associated with either entity will apply to the target entity.
Manually merging redundant users & companies
1. Select a redundant user/company.
2. In the upper right menu, select Merge.
3. Select the user/company this entity will be merged into. Once the merge is complete, the original entity will be deleted.
4. Confirm Merge.