Makers with admin access can customize their Portal’s domain by following the steps outlined below:
Create a custom CNAME record with your DNS provider
We highly recommend using the following DNS providers when customizing your Portal’s domain:
- Cloudflare – you can set SSL with their free plan. 📚 Check out this tutorial for detailed steps 🎉
- AWS Cloudfront – you can set SSL with their free usage tier.
You are welcome to choose a different provider, but we won’t be able to provide support during setup.
Note: if you are using GoDaddy and don't want to move to the providers recommended by us, you will need to purchase an SSL certificate from GoDaddy first. Then, you can follow GoDaddy documentation on how to install it.
1. Go to your DNS provider’s website. If you’re choosing one for the first time, consider using Cloudflare or AWS Cloudfront, or make sure you go with another one that supports SSL.
2. Your domain nameservers need to point to the provider you will be using. Wait for DNS propagation.🚨 Important: DNS changes can sometimes take up to 72 hours to take effect but are typically much faster.
3. Go to the DNS section on your provider's website and add a CNAME record for your public Portal custom domain.
4. The name is based on the first part of your custom domain, e.g. if your custom domain is portal.example.com, use ‘portal‘.
5. Point the CNAME record at productboard’s Portal domain: portal.productboard.com.
Once you’ve set up a custom domain, your public Portal will be hosted on your domain, but on HTTP rather than HTTPS. Your Portal will now appear as ‘Not secure’ on web browsers.
SSL (or TLS) is the most widely used way to secure the connection between your server and your browser. It ensures the connection between the server and browser is encrypted, safe, and appears as HTTPS.
⚠️ You’ll need to configure SSL for your domain using a third-party DNS provider. Again, we recommend either CloudFlare (tutorial article) or AWS CloudFront. Other providers or your own solutions are available, but we won’t be able to provide support during setup.
✅ Here’s what an SSL-configured website (with HTTPS) typically looks like on the Chrome browser:
⛔️ This is what it looks like if you’ve visited a website not secured by SSL (without HTTPS):
Set up a custom domain on your productboard workspace
1. Go to your productboard workspace.
2. Go to the Portal tab.
3. Click on 'Share'.
4. In Portal share settings, select ‘Public’, toggle on ‘Host Portal on your domain’, add your custom domain with configured SSL, and then press ‘Save.’
Once saved, changes will be deployed on our back-end. It might take up to 30 minutes for changes to take effect. Wait approx 30 minutes and try to visit the custom domain for your public Portal.
💡 If you can see your public Portal on your custom domain, your Portal is fully secured and ready to go. Users visiting your Portal will see the green lock icon in their browser, letting them know that the site is secure. ✅