Features board: Set up basic planning columns
On the Features board you can also add columns to help you plan, and monitor features as you prepare to deliver them.
- Determine how you'll use productboard's effort field to capture effort estimates. Suggested scale is story points but you can enter any number into this field. You can also configure the Jira integration to automatically sync the effort field with Jira story points. productboard effort is mainly used for purposes of reference. It can however be used to divide the Prioritization score. It can also be visualized on the horizontal axis of the matrix.
- If you'd like to capture preliminary effort estimates in the form of t-shirt sizes or some other scale, you can create a custom dropdown column for this. More info
- Use the task columns to capture tasks that will need to take place in order for features to be developed or launched (e.g. specification, prototyping, final designs, development, release notes). Task columns tend to relate to tasks that relate to most (not necessarily all) features. Typically they can be worked on in parallel. More info
Add some releases
Releases are used to group features that will be launched together. Releases can be useful for grouping features on the Features board and Roadmap.
Agile teams often define releases around more specific time periods in the short run (this month, next month) but become broader as the time horizon extends into the future (next quarter, later...) More info
You can now create multiple release groups to manage different teams' release schedules within the same project, or to manage one set of development releases in parallel with another set of high-level releases for display on your Roadmap. More info
- Experiment with grouping features by release on the Features board and Roadmap
- Add upcoming releases for your product: On the Features board, use the configurations bar at right to select Releases.
Customize feature status values
In productboard, feature status is a handy way to show what phase a feature is in within the overarching product development lifecycle. Customize your project's status values to match the high-level phases feature ideas progress through at your organization.