Don't lose track of all that valuable product feedback in Intercom! Use this integration to load all of your Intercom conversations into productboard (or a subset as defined by tags that you define) and link insights from customers to the feature ideas they inspire.
- Log feature requests and identify product gaps
- Generate feature ideas based on user painpoints
- Track bugs
- Identify problem areas in UX and onboarding
- Validate which jobs customers are hiring your product to do
Here's how it works... 🎥
To set up this integration you must be:
- An administrator of your productboard project.
- An Engage, Support, or Learn plan customer with Intercom.
Step I: Authorize
- In productboard, navigate to the Integrations page.
- Select Intercom [+] to add a new integration.
- Authorize productboard to connect your Intercom account.
Step II: One-time import
Import Intercom conversations manually by searching for specific conversations, then selecting those you'd like to import. Available conversation search criteria:
- Date range
Step III: Tag messages
If you've set up your integration to pull only conversations with a certain tag in Intercom, this tag can be applied to any message in a conversation in order to send the entire conversation (importing individual messages is not supported).
To apply a tag to a conversation in Intercom, hover along the right edge of a message and select Tag this reply.
Note that tags applied to the customer in the right sidebar will not push this conversation to productboard:
To ensure your conversation gets sent to productboard... perform an action in the conversation thread after applying your tag.
- Assigning the conversation to someone
- Snoozing a conversation
- Replying to the conversation
- Adding a note to the conversation
- Closing/Re-opening the conversation
Best practice: tag a message in the conversation as soon as you realize the conversation should be sent to productboard.
Q: Why aren't my Intercom conversations getting pushed to productboard?
Please verify the following...
- In productboard, on the Integrations page, ensure your Intercom integration is toggled on.
- Select the integration in question to view its settings. If it's configured to only pull Intercom conversations with a certain tag, verify the tag specified is the same on you're using in Intercom.
- In Intercom, ensure you're applying tags in the correct part of the interface — to the message itself, not to the person (see screenshot above).
- In Intercom, make sure you're taking some action after you've applied the tag. For example, you could send a reply, close the conversation, or leave a note for a colleague or yourself (see above). Due to the nature of Intercom's API, this is the only way productboard can tell that a tag has been added to a conversation.
Q: Why doesn't the conversation pushed to productboard have a user name assigned?
A: If it is completely empty — no name, no email, no company — there may be an error. Contact us!
If this is the first conversation with a particular user pushed to productboard it will pull only the name and email of the user. The company will be unassigned.
For this initial insight you will need to assign the company.
Thereafter it will remain synced.