Available on the Essentials plan and higher
If you use GitHub Issues to track feature development, you’ll appreciate being able to push prioritized features straight from productboard. Your engineering team can continue managing their development pipeline in GitHub while product managers enjoy the flexibility of productboard for understanding user needs, prioritizing what to build next, and rallying everyone around the roadmap.
Summary of benefits
With the GitHub integration, you can automatically sync the following fields between productboard and GitHub:
- feature tag/label
- status (open/closed)
Any change to these fields in GitHub will be reflected in productboard in real-time.
Setting up your GitHub integration
To set up the GitHub integration, users must have the admin role in productboard and repository admin role in GitHub.
- From the accounts menu (lower left), select Integrations, then select the [+] icon beside GitHub.
- Select authorize.
- Use the dropdown to select the correct repository associated with your GitHub account.
- Decide whether feature tags in productboard should sync with GitHub labels.
Verify productboard has access to your GitHub account
- Under Personal Settings > Applications > Authorized OAuth Apps: ensure that productboard is listed.
- Under Organization Settings > Third-party access: ensure that productboard is listed.
Pushing features and subfeatures to GitHub
When a feature or subfeature is ready for development, push it into GitHub in one of several ways:
- Select the feature or subfeature's name to open its details in the side pane. Beside GitHub select Push.
- Add the special GitHub task column to your board (using the column configuration bar at right). Select the Push button that appears alongside the feature/subfeature in question.
All features and subfeatures pushed to GitHub become issues.
It's possible to push subfeatures into GitHub without pushing their parent feature.
Navigating between productboard and GitHub
When features/subfeatures are pushed to GitHub, the productboard URL will automatically be added to the issue.
In productboard, you can click the task status of a feature that has been pushed to GitHub to navigate to that issue.
If you have multiple GitHub repositories, you can create multiple integrations.
For each integration, a new task column will automatically be created. Rename the field/column associated with each GitHub integration so you can keep them all straight!
Q: When I push a feature from productboard to GitHub, nothing happens... but it works for my colleague. What's going on here?
A: The user who set up the integration in productboard has to be a GitHub repository owner or organization admin.
- It is not yet possible to import GitHub issues into productboard as features using this integration. However, it is possible to use Zapier for a one-time import.
- It is not yet possible to link productboard features with existing GitHub issues. Links can only be made by pushing features from productboard to GitHub.